Train Travel With Sleeper Cars can be fun, although traveling by air is the fastest way to move from place to place while traveling by car is convenient and comfortable and traveling by bus is the cheapest, not one of them can be compared to the unique experience trail travel could give.
Luxury Train Travel:
Here are some luxury train routes in the U.S.:
- Denali Star, from Anchorage to Denali National Park.
- Rails to Rim adventure on Southwest Chief.
- The Adirondack, NYC to Montreal.
- Great Lakes & Trains, Chicago to Detroit.
- Southern Comfort, Northbound from New Orleans to Fort Worth.
Elegance on the line, the world’s most expensive trains:
- Maharajas’ Express, India – $3,385 per night.
- Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express, Russia – $2,142 per night.
- Royal Scotsman – $2,126 per night.
- Rovos Rail Pride of Africa, South Africa – $2,075 per night.
- Venice Simplon Orient Express, Europe – $1,900 per night.
- Eastern & Oriental Express Asia – $1,583 per night.
Train travel might not be the most popular way people move. This could be because of the length a trip could take compared to air traveling. Another reason could be the monotony of sights that might bring boredom to passengers.
Another could be the price one single train travel could cost compared when taking a bus. All these contribute to the decreasing popularity of train travel but it does not mean that train travel is not good at all. In fact, with a little wit and personal creativity, one could enjoy train travel.
Amtrak Train Routes:
The 6 Most Scenic Amtrak Train Routes:
- Adirondack: New York City to Montreal.
- Sunset Limited: New Orleans to Los Angeles.
- Empire Builder: Chicago to Portland or Seattle.
- Coast Starlight: Seattle to Los Angeles.
- California Zephyr: Chicago to San Francisco.
- Pacific Surfliner: San Luis Obispo to San Diego.
Passengers who have booked Amtrak Roomette or rooms have their meals included and must bring their tickets with them to meals. Those riding in the coach section do not have their meals included but are free to walk to the dining car to make a reservation.
Amtrak Train Routes and Prices:
Connecting 674 cities by rail with over 16,000 routes, Amtrak trains make an average of 24,621 trips per day and 689,400 trips per month. Amtrak’s prices vary greatly; tickets start from as low as $2.50 for local train trips to as high as $516.00 for certain coast to coast train travel.
Are Amtrak sleeper cars worth it? Yes, of course, the sleeping car costs more, but if you figure it out carefully, it often is a reasonable alternative to sitting up all night in a coach seat.
Amtrak train tickets tend to be higher than airfares if you book a roomette or bedroom as the price includes meals and private accommodations. However, Amtrak coach seats are often cheaper than coach seats on a plane, especially if you purchase tickets in advance. https://travelswithkev.com/showers-on-amtrak/
Amtrak says that its cheapest rates can be found by booking direct at the Amtrak website. You’ll also get to avoid long queues at the ticket counters.
Sleeper Car Definition: An Amtrak sleeper car is a train car that contains restrooms, shower rooms, and sleeping accommodations (not coach seats). Only the overnight and long-distance trains have sleeper cars, which contain roomettes and bedrooms. https://amtrakguide.com/2019/04/19/amtrak-routes-with-sleeper-cars
For a truly unique experience when traveling by train, Amtrak offers private room accommodations on many routes across the country. Located in the Sleeping Car, a private room is the perfect option for customers seeking privacy and space on a short trip and added comfort and amenities when traveling overnight. https://www.amtrak.com/sleeper-car-accommodations
Cost for an Amtrak Roomette car:
Pairing Cities Roomette
- New York, NY – Savannah, GA $416
- Washington, DC – Chicago, IL $319
- Chicago, IL – Denver, CO $365
- Oakland, CA – Seattle, WA $352
- Atlanta, GA – New Orleans, LA $243
- Chicago, IL – Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN $193
- Boston, MA – Chicago, IL $402
Passengers with roomettes, family rooms, or accessible accommodations have access to the public shower with an attached dressing room located in each sleeper car. The dressing room has a place for your soiled towels and washcloths.
Train Travel – Good to Know:
- Expect to travel for long hours. In this way, you don’t have to look at your timepiece regularly or ask a crew with the most annoying question you. Keep in mind that if you are crossing state borders, train travel could take more hours than driving your own car at your own phase. And sometimes, train schedules are not met so you don’t have to nag every crew with the train schedule.
- Relax and enjoy the scenery. If you are traveling during the daytime, you could see sights that might not be possible to see if you are traveling by plane, bus or car. Try to enjoy the scenery.
- If you are a reader, this is the best time to read. Trains are more stable than buses. So if you would like to read without controlling the motion of your hand with the book, the train could provide you with stability. You can also consider finalizing your report if you are going to present it at meetings.
- If you are not into sightseeing and reading, you can bring your portable CD player or iPod. Bring your most favorite albums you could bring. Or, if you have an iPod, you can store all your songs in your library. Make sure you have spare batteries.
- Be friendly and polite. Train travel would offer you, new acquaintances and friends.
- Do not intrude on other people’s business in the best way you could. Respect other people’s privacy.
- Talk to the crew nicely. Although they would not throw you off the train if you shout to them, doing such is not proper. They are well trained and very friendly, be nice to the crew.
- Take time to meet other people. Since you expect to be on the train for several hours especially if you are crossing state borders, you won’t be doing so much. This is the best time to have someone to talk to.
- If in case you are traveling with your children, make sure you provide them with lots of activities. Bring along activity books, quiet toys, color pens, crayons, papers, reading material, coloring books, and video games.
Coast to Coast Train Travel:
The 3,000-mile coast-to-coast train ride takes 3 nights, without stopovers. Choose from 4 or 5 different routes. You don’t need a car to see America. Traveling coast-to-coast across the United States by train is one of the world’s greatest travel experiences. Also one of the world’s greatest travel bargains, the 3,400-mile trip can cost as little as $186.
The California Zephyr is the longest train journey in the US and runs through the Rocky Mountains, the Colorado canyons, and the Sierra Nevada.
The meals in Amtrak’s diners are a bargain considering what it costs to provide them. A $15 item likely costs at least $45 for Amtrak to provide it.
How do I plan an Amtrak vacation?
- Plan a Train Trip Destination. Visit amtrak.com to select a destination.
- Use the Amtrak Trip Planner. Input your departure and return information on amtrak.com.
- Decide Between Seat and Sleeper.
- Always Scout for Deals.
- Know When to Score the Best Deals.
Amtrak payment plan offers flexible payment options, you can finance your trip and pay over time. Simply ask your Rail Vacation Specialist about using Pay Monthly, complete a short application, and learn about your monthly payment options in seconds.
For More Information About Purchasing Travel Packages. Life-Time Unlimited Vacations, Condos, Luxury Hotels, and Cruises! All Coastal Vacations Travel Packages, One-Time purchase and are Good for Life-Time (Evergreen) and it can be passed on to your family! Level Purchase Coastal Vacations Resort Package Price: $1,295 (You earn $1,000 per sale as a Free Affiliate)
Products to Consider For Your Travel